Computers for Schools
The education of all children has been disrupted in this country but the less advantaged are suffering more acutely than others because of a lack of access to laptops and technology. At the moment, for thousands this means little or no education at all. Many of these young people are in their GCSE or A level years and the impact on their long-term future could be considerable.
The WCI is collaborating with a wide range of industry organisations to help make a real impact on this acute problem. We are asking individuals and firms to help by donating either technology – new or used – or money. Any cash donated will be used to purchase reconditioned technology.
If you or your firm has redundant technology or can offer new technology please read on to find out how you can help. Schools are particularly in need of:
- Microsoft Windows laptops
- Microsoft Windows tablets
- Google Chromebooks
- Apple iPads
With reconditioned laptops of a suitable quality available from around £120 our collective efforts could quickly make a difference.
The WCI is delighted to be leading this project with the support of the Association of British Insurers, International Underwriting Association, Managing General Agents' Association, Lloyd's, Chartered Insurance Institute, British Insurance Brokers' Association and the Lloyd's Market Association.
How you can help meet this urgent need
Our immediate goal is to help deliver 10,000 computers to help schools level the playing field for all children. Equipment will be delivered to help those most in need.
With many thousands of firms involved directly and indirectly in and supporting the insurance industry, and in ecxess of 100,000 people employed directly or indirectly in the industry, we hope that by acting collectively, we can make a real difference to the future of our children, many of whom will end up working in our industry.
The need right now is urgent as we believe technology should never be a barrier that prevents any child reaching their full potential. Our objective is to provide immediate help now combined with a longer term commitment to ensure no child’s education is hindered by a lack of access to the right technology.
We are appealing to firms and individuals to assist in whatever way you can. Please consider donating now. Whether your firm has technology that it is able to donate, or you wish to make a financial donation, however large or small.
This is our chance as an industry to make a real difference to the next generation of insurance industry employees.
• Please ensure your old equipment is data-wiped.
• Please ensure it meets the minimum specifications set by the Government here.
• Deliver your equipment to:
c/o Lloyd’s of London
One Lime Street
• Please email Computers4Schools to let us know that you are sending a donation so we can track donations.
If you would prefer to make a financial donation, please transfer your donation as soon as possible.
Account name: The Worshipful Company of Insurers Charitable Trust
Bank name: CAF Bank
Sort code: 40-52-40
Account number: 00031527
Please ensure all donations are marked “Computers 4 Schools”.
• The Worshipful Company of Insurers Charitable Trust is managing the collection and distribution of all financial donations. We will pass on 100% of all donations received plus the Gift Aid recoverable from those donations and have donated £5000 from the WCI Charitable Trust towards the purchase of computers for distribution.
• All financial donations and donations of equipment will be donated to schools with the guidance of the education sector. We are grateful to the National Association of Head Teachers for their help and support.